Monday, January 7, 2013

Larry Walker's All-Around Ability And His Hall Of Fame Worthiness

Last year I tried to quantify who the greatest "all-around" players were. I tried to take into account hitting for power, hitting for average, speed and defense (I so far have not broken down defense into catching and throwing).

I used various formulas and tried to have everything adjusted for the league average and park effects (where possible). Besides a simple score of "all-aroundness," I also tried to calculate one that was "above replacement." That allows longevity to play a role. Below are the three posts I did on this. The last one is the best attempt, I think.

In Part 3, Walker had the 87th best "all-around" score out of 913 players with 5000+ PAs through 2011. Above replacement, he is 96th. So he is around being in the top 10%. He did have alot of assists, so if I could break down defense into catching and throwing, he might do a bit better.

If you think being an "all-around player" matters, perhaps this would make you want to vote for Walker more. That might be a reasonable argument. Maybe the "all-around" players are more likely to excel no matter what the circumstances or playing conditions.

So here are the links

Who Was The Greatest "All-Around" Player Ever? Another Quantitative Attempt

Who Was The Greatest "All-Around" Player Ever? Another Quantitative Attempt (Part 2)

Who Was The Greatest "All-Around" Player Ever? Another Quantitative Attempt (Part 3)

No comments: