Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bill James vs. Richard Feynman

Cage match. Who would win? I think Bill James would have the size advantage, but I really don't know for sure.

Anyway, Nobel prize winning physicist Richard Feynman said “Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts.” If that is true, then I think Bill James must be a great scientist.

I thought of this watching "Moneyball" today. It was good to see them mention James and show his picture. It is very entertaining, enough so that, in my opinion, people with just a passing knowledge of baseball can enjoy it.

I don't have anything insightful to say about it. Joe Posnanski has written two great articles.

Moneyball The Movie

Moneyball and the Ballad of Bill James

He gives the movie 3 stars out of 5. I think it is at least a 4. So far on IMDB it has an 8.0 rating out of 10. But that is in only 729 votes. It will probably come down, but my guess is that it will end up with at least a 7.0.

Update 9-25: The IMDB rating is now at 8.2 with 1395 votes.

Update 9-26: Art Howe isn’t happy about his portrayal in ‘Moneyball’

Update 9-26:
The IMDB rating is now at 8.3 with 2212 votes.

Update 9-27:
The IMDB rating is now at 8.3 with 2898 votes.

Update 9-30:
The IMDB rating is now at 8.2 with 3599 votes.

Update 10-1:
The IMDB rating is now at 8.2 with 3845 votes.

Update 10-2:
The IMDB rating is now at 8.2 with 4382 votes.

Update 10-10:
The IMDB rating is now at 8.2 with 6113 votes.

2 comments:

David Pinto said...

This reminds me of the time Butthead asked Beavis who would win in a fight between Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. :-)

Cyril Morong said...

Of course. These two comparisons are very congruent. Thanks for dropping by.